Pages

Shutterfly.

As you may or may not know, I am obsessed with Shutterfly. I have used them for YEARS and have made so many amazing gifts and books with their easy-to-use site. They have given me so many free products and I am thankful for that.
Recently I was chosen to host a Shutterfly party. All of the guests would receive a free photo book and free Christmas cards. I was excited. I love Shutterfly and I wanted to spread my love to my close friends and family.
Stupidly, I click yes to almost all terms from all websites without reading them.
My friend brought their terms and conditions to my attention prompting me to cancel this party. I am almost undoubtedly and heartbreakingly going to terminate my relationship with Shutterfly.
If you use Shutterfly, you NEED to be aware of the following taken from this page on their site.
In the event that you post or upload to the Service, or otherwise submit to or through Shutterfly as part of your use of the Service, any materials including, without limitation, photographs and other images, text, graphics, videos, visuals, sounds, data, files, links and other materials (collectively, "Submissions"), you will retain ownership of such Submissions, and you hereby grant us and our designees a worldwide, non-exclusive, sublicenseable (through multiple tiers), assignable, royalty-free, fully paid-up, perpetual, irrevocable right to use, reproduce, distribute (through multiple tiers), create derivative works of, and publicly display and perform (publicly or otherwise) such Submissions, solely in connection with the Service (including without limitation for purposes of promoting the Service).

Um. So this means that EVERY SINGLE IMAGE of you and your child is subject to use by Shutterfly and/or any companies that they work with. All of the intimate moments between you and your family and friends can, without notice, be used and plastered all over the internet, and in some cases, the world.
I am not okay with this.
Sarah, duh, your images are all over the internet. People will use them anyway.
True. But if a person or corporation as big as Shutterfly uses any images I have not given them permission to use they can get sued. By using Shutterfly I am giving them the go-ahead to do whatever they want.
Not cool, Shutterfly.
I am so sad to have learned this information.
I was their biggest fan.
As a mom I have to stand up for what is right. And Shutterfly is not right.
Any recommendations for other image sites without inSANE terms like Shutterfly's?

No comments:

Post a Comment